Monday 24 March 2014

Just How Obsessed With Austen and JAFF Are You?


While doing research on a recent assignment, I realised my obsession with Austen and JAFF was natural and just! My desire at times (okay lets be honest, all the time) to ignore all else and get lost in a world that mainly consists (for me) of Darcy and Elizabeth is apparently, according to Freud, my id mounting an all out war on my ego, while my super ego looks on with a jaw dropping expression. So, you ask, what has the id, ego and super ego got to do with my obsession? Well I will explain (as you may need it in court when people get fed up of your obsession!!).



The id is the impulsive part of our psyche, it demands immediate satisfaction in gaining pleasure (I need to read this book now!!). Anything less will only result in pain and the id does not want to experience pain. The id is unaffected by logic or the reality of the world! It is only focused on its goal for pleasure (Me while I am reading).

The ego mediates between the unrealistic id and the external world. The ego would also like pleasure but seeks to achieve it in a realistic, rational manner. (Well I can tell you now, my ego is having little success in any anything remotely rational when it pertains to Austen!).

The super ego is our conscience, it tries to reign in the id's urges by manipulating the ego into adhering to societies morals and values, it does this by engendering feelings, such as guilt. (I do feel guilty! I do! I do! But the pleasure that is derived from reading anything Austen or Austen related far outweighs any guilt!  Yet ignoring feelings of guilt can only lead to tragedy right?! or then again, another book!!)

" The innocence of such fancy comes to an end, when in pursuit of our daydreams we calmly ignore or blithely manipulate, accidentally damage, or consider as non-existent, some of the people dearest to us " - E.Erikson

In other words while daydreaming constantly about the book your reading or the one you've just read, your super ego (your conscience) is reminding you to get back to reality. While you indulge in yet another 'what if' your super ego is screaming "you should be starting dinner". When you just want to be left in peace to read your book, feelings of guilt start to surface, annoyingly reminding you that you have responsibilities!

Yet all the while your id is urging you to be selfish, "do what you want, go ahead, read another 'what if.' Yes if it's a good one you'll be up till the early hours, most certainly rendering you unfit for the day ahead, but who cares". The super ego screams "are you out of your mind!" While the id shouts back "have you read the blurb! surely my friend, it is you who is out of your mind!!!."

So do I dare ask, how far is your id driving your obsession?

Did you just miss out on an ebay item, because you  decided to have a quick read on one of the many Austeneque blogs, while waiting for the clock to tick down?


Is your road rage a result of having to rewind your Pride & Prejudice Naxo audio cd? Because the idiot in front does not know how to drive and as a result you've just lost concentration. (Not that you mind rewinding and having to listen again but with only 10 miles of good road to go and to your dismay, no sign of traffic, you were hoping to get to the part where Elizabeth meets Darcy at Pemberley.)

Does your cooking apron read "I'd rather be reading Pride and Prejudice"? All jokes aside your deadly serious!

Do you find your often not in the moment?  Is your attention distracted not because your texting but because your reading JAFF on a forum or reading on your kindle phone app?

Do you have Darcy's proposal framed on your windowsill?


Proposal is typed on a page from P&P, available from thebookishlife on Etsy (my own frame)

When your reading preference is made known and people roll their eyes, are you embarrassed? Or have you started to look down on them, pitting those that are ignorant of Austen or JAFF; proud and conceited in being part of the privileged few that are in this exclusive club? (I know, it is no way to act, but any slight to dear Jane must surely warrant such behaviour)

Is your wardrobe slowly changing, are you buying more period inspired clothing? Heck lets get real, are you walking around in riding boots and a tweed jacket? Yet you do not ride! (Does a donkey ride age 10, on the beach in Morecombe count?)

Are you losing sleep hooked on JAFF books that you cannot, for the life of you put down. Forgetting yourself, as you laugh out loud at 5am at some silly remark the Colonels just made, hoping you haven't awoken the whole household or the street for that matter?

Do you deliberately hold off reading some JAFF because you know that once you start there will be no stopping you?  Okay I grant you there was no point in asking that question, Mr Darcy's "in vain I have struggled" certainly comes to mind.

Do you have Keep Calm and Find Mr Darcy on your phone case?

Are you and your Kindle inseparable? Are you wondering why Amazon hasn't offered you shares?

Do you sneak your kindle/Nook or book under your dressing gown or in a towel when you go into the bathroom?

Are you annoyed that considering how far the scientific community has come, no one has created time travel yet! (Damn it! You can get a man to the moon but you can't get me back to the Regency era!!!)

Do you scout the newspapers hoping to find a job advertisement that says "read Austen and JAFF and get paid"?

Do you buy hard copies of your favourite Austen & JAFF? Not only for the pleasure of seeing it on your book case, but in truth as back up should your kindles stop working (you have two), the internet goes down or your phone crashes?

Are everyday pleasures starting to pale in comparison?


If you have
answered yes
to all or any of the above fear not, Sigmund Freud
says it is only "NATURAL and JUST" 
oh sorry that was DARCY was it not!!!!!

I would love to hear your thoughts or any other signs you care to impart,  that confirm just how obsessed you are!

19 comments:

  1. I have not been aware of the JAFF books for very long but I have about 20 books (and hopefully more coming for my birthday in a couple of days), but I so want the apron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Vesper, I only entered the world of JAFF last year in March, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and get some more books! I bought my apron from cafepress it comes in three colours I went for stone/beige I also got my phone case from there. http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+pride_and_prejudice_apron,597703744

      Delete
  2. I can't get your GFC button to work - do you have another link I can try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vesper I have looked into it and apparently it is a problem at Googles end as I can not follow blogs either, I hope it will get fix soon! In the meantime I have added a follow by email link if that helps and will see if there is another way people can follow, sorry for the difficulties. Tamara

      Delete
    2. thanks for the link for the email follow and for the apron

      Delete
    3. Hi Vesper, If you click on the GFC button it says you can't follow but if you click more options it opens a new page and you can then click follow hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. I had an id moment of obsession recently when I found out that there was Jane Austen Gin from Bath. They don't ship to America and I don't know when I will actually get the gin, but I became obsessed with needing 2 bottles and immediately facebooked by friend in England to buy 2 bottles for me. She got them, but since it is hard to ship alcohol internationally I will probably have to go over there to get it. It was a total id moment because it was completely irrational but I could have a lot worse obsessions (my super ego)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waccamaw Pearls that story was hilarious I feel better already! lol Just as I was reading your reply my fiance came by and noticed two new additions on my book shelf! With the kindle it is so much easier to hide the obsession! If you can come to collect the gin yourself just think what other Austen delights you could engage in! I recently had an episode where I bidded on these brand new bespoke Regency leather riding boots but when they arrived they were a weird fit! My fiance hasn't laughed so much in a long while! Much to my chagrin! Thanks for stopping by and sharing, hope you get your Gin soon

      Delete
  4. I laughed aloud throughout this entire piece. All absolutely, delightfully true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am glad you enjoyed it and to my relief agreed! Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  5. I am completley Austen obsessed and have been for years. I once decorated a whole bedroom in nothing but Regency style and proudly displayed all my copies of Jane Austen's novels and Jaff. Once kindle came along I shamelessly filled it with nothing but Darcy and Elizabeth. I even have Jane Austen font on my computer. As for the guilt part. I feel it on a regular basis. No dinner for the hubby tonight because I have ten more chapters left or no sleep from reading all night so my job performance isn't all that great. I am a junky and though everyone else thinks I am crazy I know Jane would approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Schilds I believe she would lol! Wow I would love to do a Regency style room, as you can see I have my writing desk, although I am unsure about the age but it is Queen Anne style I believe, I also have a piece I have collected recently which I am hoping to do a post on. Austen font sounds delightful will be looking into that post haste. So glad to know I am not alone in this obsession It feels good to know I do not struggle alone (okay if it wasn't for society I wouldn't be struggling I would be skipping along merrily down some lane while reading my book!) Thank you for sharing

      Delete
  6. This was a great read, Tamara! Really entertaining and perilously close to the mark for many of us, I suspect! Personally, I am right now desperately seeking the perfect iPhone 5S case for my shiny new phone - it has to be Austen related of course. Only problem? Too many choices - may have to have a different cover for every day of the week! Thanks again for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassandra, as you know you are one of my favourite JAFF authors! Yes I agree probably close to the mark for some and you can probably believe my signs were tempered, less I found myself having to call one of you to the witness stand! I sympathise with the phonecase my hubby came home to me saying "I have ordered a P&P apron, phonecase,bag and vest, there some of your Christmas presents to me!" thanks for sharing your thoughts

      Delete
  7. Guilty to much of the above. You forgot to include having the 1995 theme tune as you phone ringtone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haze!! My stomach is hurting that made me laugh so much, I have to get that ringtone now, let the eye rolling commence!! Thank you for making me laugh today!

      Delete
  8. You have described my obsession perfectly, and I am glad that it has an explication. Although my obsession only it is centered in books and the Jaff. The rest of thing, I have felt the temptation sometimes, but I never have decided myself.

    I have been enjoying with your post, Tamara; I will be remembered when I want explicated myself. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Hi Warmisunqu, I am glad you enjoyed the post"! Your obsession may only be centred on the books but as you have stated you are affected all the same, maybe you should be glad it does not extend any further lol!!

      Delete

Thank you! Your comments are always welcome